As homeowners renovate around 7 years,or you have bought a house that was renovated 6/7 years ago ,you need to read this article especially if you are an owner builder.
Article on Insurance Business Magazine by Jordan Lynn
The Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC) has warned that thousands of homeowners across the country could still be at risk of fire and electrocution due to faulty electric cables.
Infinity cables installed in New South Wales homes in 2010 may already have started cracking, with other state and territories where the cable was installed from 2011 coming into danger next year.
The product safety regulator is warning that the dangerous cable could become prematurely brittle and break under stress near heat sources and roof access areas. This could lead to fire or electric shock if cables are disturbed by home or business owners or tradespeople.
Delia Rickard, ACCC deputy chair, said that whilst the product recall is in its fourth year, only 54% of the 4,313km of dangerous cable has been found and fixed.
“Your home might be a ticking time-bomb if you haven’t had Infinity cabling replaced,” Rickard said.
Rickard urged those who had electrical cables installed between 2010 and 2013 to organise an inspection with a licensed electrician.
Brokers should discuss with both home and business clients if their properties have undergone any electrical work during this timeframe.
“In some circumstances, suppliers, installers and property owners may be liable to pay compensation for injury or property damage caused by Infinity cable installed in buildings,” Rickard continued.
The national recall began in August 2013.